Toenail fungus is a common problem that causes nails to become discolored, thickened and distorted. The fungus may also cause pain and discomfort.
Toenail fungus often affects both feet, but one foot may be affected more than the other. It is rare for both feet to be affected at the same time. Toenail fungus affects about 10 percent of the population. It’s more common in people who wear closed-toe shoes or who spend a lot of time barefoot (such as swimmers).
Antifungal medications are available without a prescription (over the counter). The best treatment will depend on your age, overall health and the severity of your symptoms. Oral treatments include tablets and capsules that you swallow, powders to dissolve under your tongue (sublingual), or liquids that you drink. Topical medicines are applied directly to the nail once or twice daily as directed by your doctor.
We will talk about the best over the counter toenail fungus treatment here.
Best Over The Counter Toenail Fungus Treatment
The best way to treat toenail fungus is with a prescription medication. But if you don’t have insurance or prefer not to see your doctor, there are a few over-the-counter treatments available.
The active ingredient in most over-the-counter treatments for nail fungus is urea. Urea is also found in many moisturizers and deodorants, which can help prevent the spread of toenail fungus by keeping your feet dry and clean.
There are two types of urea: alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) and beta-hydroxy acid (BHA). AHAs are derived from fruit sugars, while BHAs come from milk sugars. Both AHAs and BHAs exfoliate the outer layers of skin, which makes it easier for topical medications such as antifungals to penetrate deeper into infected nails.
Some over-the-counter treatments contain both urea and salicylic acid. Salicylic acid is an effective topical treatment for warts that does not require a prescription.
The following are some of the best treatments for nail fungus:
ZetaClear is a powerful topical solution that uses all-natural ingredients to help treat your fungal infection. It is non-greasy and can be applied directly to your skin without any irritation or burning sensation.
The active ingredient in ZetaClear is undecylenic acid, which is also found in other products such as Vicks Vapor Rub and Udderly Smooth Udder Cream. This substance has been shown to be effective against a wide range of fungal infections including athlete’s foot, jock itch, ringworm, and even nail fungus.
Butterfly Remedy Nail Fungus Treatment
Butterfly Remedy Nail Fungus Treatment contains all natural ingredients like Tea Tree Oil and Lavender Essential Oil to help fight off bacteria and fungus from growing underneath your nails. It also contains vitamin E oil which has been shown to promote healthy skin growth on top of your nails.
The medicine is an antibiotic that fights bacteria.
It is an antifungal medication that works by killing the fungi that cause infections like athlete’s foot and jock itch.
It is another antifungal medication that works in a similar way to clotrimazole but may be more effective against certain types of fungi than clotrimazole. These medications are available as creams or ointments that you apply directly to your nails twice daily for two weeks or until the infection has cleared up.
What to keep in mind when using OTC medicines for Toenail fungus
If you’re using one of these OTC medications for toenail fungus:
- Apply the medication as directed on the label or package insert by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Don’t use more than one type of topical antifungal medication at the same time unless your doctor or pharmacist tells you otherwise.
- Use these products according to directions on the package insert until they’re gone — don’t stop using them early because they’re working well or getting rid of your symptoms too quickly (this could lead to a relapse).
- Before you start using any of these treatments, make sure that they are approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration). This will ensure that they have been tested and approved as safe for human use. It also means that they will not cause any side effects in most people but may cause some minor irritation in others.
- Before applying an antifungal cream or powder on your nails, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water to remove all traces of dirt from under your fingernails or between your toes. Then dry them off completely with a clean towel or paper towel before applying the medication to your nails. You should apply enough cream or powder so that it covers all areas of infection but not so much that it goes beyond the edge of your nail bed or skin area around it.
Additionally you should stick to the following measures:
- Keep your feet dry and cool. To avoid having damp feet, wear cotton socks and change them frequently. Avoid wearing tight shoes that trap moisture in the shoe. Wear sandals around the house when you’re doing chores and take off your shoes as soon as you get home from work.
- Wash your feet daily with warm water and soap, and dry them thoroughly afterward. If you have other foot problems, such as athlete’s foot or cracked heels, it is important to treat those problems before treating nail fungus. If not properly treated, these conditions can worsen the appearance of your nails.
- Keep nails trimmed short and smooth with a nail file or clippers designed for this purpose only (not for manicures). Trimming off any loose nail will help prevent further infection of the nail surface by fungus spores that may be present under the free edge of the nail plate before they are pushed out by new nail growth above them.
You should not use over-the-counter medicines for toenail fungus if you have diabetes or poor circulation in your feet. These conditions can increase your risk of developing complications from an infection caused by the medicine.
If you have diabetes, ask your doctor about prescription antifungal medications that may be safer for you.
If you have poor circulation in your feet, consult with a healthcare professional before using best over the counter toenail fungus treatment or treatments that require soaking your feet in water. This can increase your risk of developing an infection or other complications from using these products.